Another Favorite Writer: Anna Quindlen

Today I am grateful for early morming sunshine and conversation and a game of catch with my son last evening.

I mentioned Anna Quindlen last August when I came across her book Being Perfect at a book sale at our library. Read that post here. I like Quindlen's writing style and her books. They are quick reads loaded with wisdom. (I haven't read one of her novels yet. I'll add them to my ever-growing reading list.) She is an award-winning columnist and novelist and she's someone I would love to sit down and have coffee with. Her and Anne Lamott. Their genuine humanness shines through their words and I appreciate and respect that. It is what I aspire to in my own writing.

Quindlen started working in the copy room of the New York Times at 18. Her mother died of ovarian cancer when Anna was 19. It changed her life and drove home the importance of living life to the fullest. She helped raise her younger siblings and continued her writing career. She has an extensive resume of columns and both fiction and non-fiction books. She is an impressive writer, but I go back to her impressive style. It touches the soul and hits my benchmark for great reading material-laughing and crying at the same time. (Or in my case, laughing and tearing up at the same time.)

At my last dentist visit, I came across a mention of Quindlen's book A Short Guide To A Happy Life.I went and picked it up at our local library. It contains many quotable quotes, but here is one of my favorites:

"Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of cement. It would be wonderful if they came to us unsummoned, but particularly in lives as busy as the ones most of us lead now, that won't happen. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live . . . to love the journey, not the destination."

I love these words. They are in direct line with what this blog is about and provide a clear explanation of why gratitude practice is needed. Glittering mica is only noticed when we pause, when we take a breath. For a moment, just a moment. Habitual gratitude teaches me to make room, to summon life's gifts to the forefront of my mind. In turn, the journey goes more smoothly-mainly because I am paying attention.

A Short Guide To A Happy Life ends with a profound lesson from an unlikely source. I will share that tomorrow.

Just for today, look for the glittering mica.

Comments