Soul Awakenings

Today I am grateful for an early morning run with Darcy in the cool air. I am also grateful for ears that can hear--even when they are hearing the somewhat annoying squawking of some crows.

That's the thing about gratitude. If I can put annoying things in perspective by being grateful in a wider sense, then they seem less bothersome.

As I read "Where the Red Fern Grows" I thought about my own experience with animals and pets.

I came across this quote in recent years, since we have had our dog Oliver:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." 
(Anatole France)

When I first read the words, I thought how true they are, how I better realized this now that I did indeed love an animal. Oliver has been with us for five years now. He came into our lives in the midst of a difficult time--I was awaiting my first surgery for breast cancer. He was just the distraction we needed. But he is far more than a distraction now, he is part of our family. We each love him in our own ways and we all love his little quirks and his personality. He indeed nourishes my soul in ways that only an animal can.

Another thing I love about Oliver is that he is always glad to see us. What a wonderful way to greet those you love . . . with excitement and joy. Oliver teaches me a lot about balance and taking the time to just be.

But Oliver wasn't the first animal I loved. Recent reading has brought back some memories from when I was growing up. I will share more about that tomorrow.

For today, I will appreciate Oliver, his wisdom, his devotion to his family. Thanks pup!

Comments