Of Coffee and Stockings

Today I am grateful for a god run with Darcy yesterday and the return of a healthier perspective. I am also grateful for the young people who have touched my life through my job.

I am thinking about coffee and stockings. That is an interesting combination isn't it? My sister sent me a link to this video, which will explain the coffee:

"Life is like coffee."

It's a good reminder of gratitude and basically asks us what our priorities are. Coffee is the priority, not the cup it comes in. Sometimes we get that turned around. In pursuit of the best cup, the coffee gets cold and stale and we end up pouring it out because we didn't take the time to slow down and enjoy it. Who is, what is the coffee in your life? The coffee in my life includes family, friends, recovery, faith, running, writing. People who always want a bigger, better cup have lost sight of what really matters. And if I care too much about what others think of my cup, I  have lost perspective too.The intangibles of love, grace, friendship, forgiveness, laughter, and learning should trump the tangibles of home, car, stuff. If not, I have work to do.

Part two of this interesting combination would be the stockings. This quote was in my gratitude journal recently:

"When we were children, we were grateful to those who filled our stockings at Christmas time. Why are we not grateful to God for filling our stockings with legs?" 
(G.K. Chesterton)

I see G.K. Chesterton quoted many times on gratitude and other topics. I don't know anything about him, so I am on a mission to find out more and will blog about him some other time. For now, I appreciate his words above. How often do I take my physical capabilities for granted? I got up out of bed this morning and I walked down the stairs. I was a little sore from yesterday's run, but I didn't think much of it. Gratitude starts right here, right now. My eyes can see. My  heart is beating. My fingers are typing. Thank you Higher Power for such amazing gifts.

Have a good day!

Comments