More From Peggy Orenstein

Today I am grateful for the students and parents I work with, and my colleagues. I am also grateful to be a woman comfortable in her own skin-at least most of the time.

A few weeks ago I wrote about Peggy Orenstein's cover story in the New York Times magazine.You can read that post here. I had seen her book Cinderella Ate My Daughter referenced before, so this time I decided to read it. Our local library had a copy and I dove in. I liked her investigative approach and I like her writing style and sense of humor. The content was definitely thought-provoking and unsettling. She was talking about what she calls the "girlie-girl culture" and the harm potentially being done to young girls. What seems innocent at first glance is, in my opinion, sexualizing girls at younger ages. Our culture and the rampant consumerism targeted at young females seems to be telling girls that exterior looks matter more than interior assets. That is Orenstein's concern. I share it.

It is not only harming our girls, it is ultimately harming our boys too, and the future relationships that await both genders. It is a tough tide to turn when there is so much money to be made at the expense of the beauty that really matters-inner beauty.

Like Peggy Orenstein, I have had some things to say about this. Like Peggy Orenstein, I am a breast cancer patient. I already felt strongly about this before my cancer diagnosis, but since my diagnosis and my own experience with the surgery option I chose, I have even more to say. You can read two guest blog posts I did. First, one titled "The Sum Of All My Parts" at Nancy's Point here.  Secondly, one titled "What Lies Beneath" on Pink Ribbon Blues here

Let's help our young girls hear the message that our most important parts are our hearts, souls, and minds. Let's help stop, or at least slow down, the train wreck of consumerism, sexualizing at younger and younger ages, and overemphasis on looks, body shape, and attire. This all leaves too many feeling "less than" and striving for an unrealistic ideal. The ideal, as I see it, means making healthy choices and honoring our bodies as the gifts they are.

It took me a long time to be comfortable in my own skin. I hope young girls can reach that self-acceptance sooner rather than later.

Thanks for more food for thought Peggy Orenstein.

Comments

  1. a frequent conversation over old photos with my daughter includes how I had felt about myself at her age and how I look back and realize how I wasted so much time feeling less than I was... That she should not set herself up for the same experience and embrace her beauty inside and out for all its worth, A friend I grew up with recently had the very same conversation with the princess without my prompting, which i really appreciated. Time spent in open, loving communication with our kids will help fight the damages of the media... I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last sentence really nails it AnnMarie! There's still hope. We have ample influence on our children, even with all the advertising and consumerism that is so prevalent. I believe we can fight the damage being done, one conversation at a time, one hug at a time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment