Splurge

Today I am grateful for a cool breeze and friends in recovery who teach me what living life a day at a time is all about.

I am thinking of Mark Weber's family today. His funeral is this morning. I am also thinking of those impacted by storms in our area overnight. We were spared this time, almost exactly a year since we had a destructive windstorm go through our community, leaving us without power for a couple days after taking down hundreds of trees.

I treated myself to a pedicure and manicure yesterday. Professionally done. I had never had a pedicure before, and had just one manicure years ago. It always seemed like an unneccesary extravagance, and why spend money on it when I could take care of my own nails? Besides, I was always tough on my hands and feet, with all my activities, so nice nails wouldn't last long anyway. Yesterday was a splurge, but I'm glad I did it. I used money earned from the monthly column I write for our local newspaper.

I am a low-maintenance gal for the most part. My hair is short and requires little time. I don't typically wear make-up (and by typically I mean almost never). I have polished my toenails a handful of times myself, and my fingernails maybe a few times more. I like being low-maintenance and enjoy adding the accessories like earrings and trendy glasses that add some flair.

I'm not a girly-girl and usually I am just fine with that. Sometimes I wish I were more polished-pun intended-but today I am comfortable in my own skin. It was a long journey getting to that point, but I made it. So a pedicure and a manicure wasn't just a splurge, it was a step outside my comfort zone. I must admit that I like the results.

We have some special events coming up, and I wanted to look nice. I'm not a person who usually notices little details like other women's nail polish, but maybe I'll pay more attention in the next days. And I will be curious if anyone notices my nails.

I appreciate a good splurge. Cliches aside, I am worth it.  I will be taking a blog break Saturday and Sunday. Have a good day and a nice weekend!

Comments

  1. dear lisa,

    yes! you ARE worth it! so glad that the pedi-mani was such a fun splurge for you. I just read somewhere that we often forget to include ourselves in our list of accomplishments. I am happy for you that just stepping out of your comfort zone (not so girly-girl)made you feel great - any thing that enhances our feelings of well-being is really worth while. have a happy week-end - and I bet your nails WILL get noticed!

    love, XOXO,

    Karen, tc

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Anything that enhances our feelings of well-being is really worth while"--that's a good thing to remember since many of us are prone to losing ourselves in the shuffle of busy lives. And my nails did get noticed, including by ME :-) Thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment