New Passages

Today I am grateful for the fourth and final commencement of this spring season for me and that it went well last night. I am also grateful for the passages I get to take in life, physical, emotional, and other.

That fourth and final graduation in this last month took place last night at 8th grade graduation at the school where I work. I appreciate the students and parents I have worked with over the last couple of years. These 8th graders are ready to pass on to high school in the fall. The passage through elementary and middle school was challenging for some, smooth sailing for others. But a growing and learning experience for each in their own ways.

Passages. We all make many each day, literally and figuratively. A passage is defined as: the act or process of moving through, under, over, or past something on the way from one place to another. Two significant passages happened to me yesterday on my way to and from work. Yesterday morning I traversed the bridge that has been on my commute for 13 years for the last time. I felt a tug of emotion. The end of an era for the 62-year-old structure. The end of my relationship with that bridge on my drive, the view I got only from that unique vantage point.

On my way home, I got to make my first passage across the new structure, nearly three years in the making. It was dark out, so I won't get the full effect of this new passage, this fresh vantage point, until today. The passage has moved a bit to the west of the old one. The view will be a little different, but it's the same river passing beneath.

Passages are like that. They can be huge or minor. Difficult or easy. But they all bring us to this point in this day and make us who we are. I am grateful for the passages in my life.

Here is a picture, though not a great one, of the two structures I speak of:



Two landmarks, side by side, but only for a few more months. I appreciate all the work, engineering, brains, resources, and planning that have gone in to this bridge construction project. And I appreciate having seen it come together over the last years.

There was a memorial walk across the old bridge last evening, allowing locals to walk the bridge before it is closed and dismantled. I had to miss this walk, but I am grateful my husband was able to take part. It was fitting that at least one of us could bid the bridge farewell.

There is another definition of passage that refers to a portion or section of a written work. I am thankful for the many passages from many writers who have touched me over the years. I hope some of my blog passages touch you.

Thank you! Enjoy the passages you make today.

Comments