Overheating But Not Overanalyzing

Today I am grateful for the varied weather we get here and for ceiling and floor fans that work. I am also grateful that two of our three wall unit air conditioners are in working order.

Our house was built in the early 1970's and has hot water heat. I appreciate that because it is not as dry as forced-air heat is. But it means we aren't set up for central air conditioning. I do miss that from our previous home. We make do with the wall units, ceiling fans, and floor fans. When it comes down to it, the days we need AC only add up to a few weeks a year. It has been quite warm and very humid in recent days, but after snow in May, it seemed wrong to complain about it.

We decided it was time to kick the air on though. Guess what? Two of the three units work, but not the one in our bedroom. The bedrooms are on the top floor and bear the brunt of the heat. So. . . we do miss that AC unit. It will take some time to get it fixed/replaced. But I am trying to keep it in perspective. I could be frustrated that it's not working; one more thing to deal with, one more expense we must incur. Poor us. Boohoo! But healthy perspective reminds me that it could be worse, much worse. Healthy perspective tells me to appreciate the cooling machines we have that are in working order. Healthy perspective reminds me that I have options, like sleeping elsewhere in the house.

I may be a bit overheated, but I am not overanalyzing. It is what it is. It's an air conditioner. On the list of what really matters, it doesn't get anywhere near top billing.

That brings back another memory from my younger days. We did not have an air conditioner when I was growing up. No ceiling fans. I don't even recall a fan, certainly not multiple fans. And I shared a bed with one sister and a room with four of us total. We survived. We made it through heat waves.

It is there that I first came to appreciate the best form of air conditioning . . . a cool, fresh breeze coming through an open window.

Have a nice day and stay cool!

Comments

  1. It strikes me that you are also grateful for the privilege of knowing what it is like to have A/C in your bedroom.

    I love reading your posts Lisa.

    steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so spoiled aren't we? My husband and I were discussing replacing the broken AC unit. He said we "need" to get it done. I said, no we "want" to. It's a luxury. Perspective.

    I enjoy watching your videos too. Thanks Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny to think about the difference between when we were kids and now. Like you said I don't think we even had a fan and we managed and now if I did not have air-conditioning, well let's just say I don't think I could be accountable for my actions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it about heat and humidity that makes a person a bit crabby? Those well-placed shade trees around the house sure helped when we were growing up too. Thanks Zita!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment