Rain Down

Living gratefully today, I appreciate umbrellas and common courtesy that many people naturally
and regularly show. There is hope!

I have rain on my brain and on my clothes and skin after taking our dog Oliver out for his morning walk.  We have had several rainy mornings of late.

It started on Sunday when I started the Sioux Falls Marathon. Thankfully, it was an indoor start, but I ran the first three miles or so in a steady rain. I was grateful for the poncho I had packed and decided to wear.  I still got soaked, but less drenched than I would have.

By the time Darcy and the other half-marathoners started, the rain had winded down. It would continue to drizzle and rain lightly, but that I can handle and actually kind of enjoy. It helps keep the hard-working body cooler too.

I carried that poncho with me for the next 23 miles. At first, just in case I would need it again. Then, I wasn't able to part with it. It is one we each got at the rainy Brookings Marathon in May of 2008. That day it rained for the first 17-18 miles. We have hung on to these ponchos ever since, maybe using them a time or two before I used it again on Sunday.

I just couldn't part with it. It carries extra meaning. When I ran the Brookings Marathon that May, I was already in the thick of procedures and appointments that would ultimately lead to my BC diagnosis at the end of the month. It meant something to me to be wearing my hat from Mary Jo and to carry that poncho as I made it through some tough miles Sunday.

The last couple mornings I have appreciated our umbrella to keep Oliver and I at least a little drier.

How about windshield wipers on my car? I am grateful for them too. And the gentle sound of rain this morning through our bedroom window as I woke up. It was soothing and peaceful.

When I let gratitude rain down, when I live gratefully, I find more soothing peace too.

Have a good day, rain or shine!

Comments