And love is your reason for being alive at all . . .

Today I am grateful for a just-ripe pear, and for the road construction workers who make the roads we travel safer and smoother.

"And love is your reason for being alive at all . . . " 

It all sounds so cliche: Love conquers all. Love is patient, love is kind. Love wins. Love is the answer. But is it cliche or is it profound? I'm going with profound.

I will throw in this little editorial aside here. I believe we have become too quick to throw the word "love" around and have diluted it. We can "love" posts on social media and say "Love ya!" as a frequent goodbye to family and friends alike.

Let's not lose the meaning, the depth, the amazing grace in true love for another, for life, for ourselves.

As I considered this post, Love is the Answer, a song by England Dan and John Ford Coley from 1979, came to mind. Give it a listen. It says plenty.

Love takes work, and time. It takes some pain too. How could we fully appreciate love without experiencing some of the price of it?

This morning I woke up thinking about, and feeling, the love I have for my son Sam as he slept in the next room. As he moves deeper into his senior year and a day closer to moving into adulthood and out of the house.

The love I have for him is as real as it gets. It doesn't stop there though. Today, with health and healing, growth and wisdom, I have much more love to give and to receive. It's not the only reason to be alive, but it is the best one I know.


Comments