A Little Resentment Stays Little

Today I am grateful for quiet, fresh coffee, counting cars with our grandson Leo, and for opportunities to lighten up on myself and my usual routine.

In a couple of hours the other day, I had a few minor resentments crop up. And I do mean minor.
How is it that the males who live in the same house I do seem to not know how to replace things that are empty... toilet paper rolls, soap in the shower, our dog Oliver's poop bag dispenser?  And how is it that these things tend to be timed poorly? Such as a morning when I am tired and running behind?

Don't get me wrong, Darcy and I are pretty good about sharing the duties of maintaining our house and our family life. Sam does his part too, though sometimes not as soon as I wish he would. So, as these little resentments mounted, I turned to a tactic I know works when I remember to use it.

A gratitude list surfaced: I have a husband, a son, a loving dog, a house, indoor plumbing...and the resentments just sort of dissolve. They diminish instead of build.

The Higher Power/Great Spirit I rely on also has a good sense of humor. That day it was punctuated with a tangle of earrings. The ones I wanted to wear belonged to my sister Mary Jo. They are sand dollars. One was seriously tangled up in a different earring. I was forced to slow down and be gentle with the undoing of the tangle. I didn't want to risk breaking either of the earrings.

Slow down and be gentle. Thanks for the reminder Mary Jo. Thanks for coming through HP/Great Spirit.

Comments