And awakening is burning in your heart . . .

Living gratefully today, I noticed the crescent moon in the early morning sky, and I appreciated the street lights that offered our dog Oliver and I a sense of security as we walked.

Today's quote excerpt is:

"And awakening is burning in your heart . . ."

As I considered what an awakening is, the word that surfaced was vulnerability. Experience, some of it the toughest of my life, has shown me that in my vulnerability is my greatest growth. The most inspired awakenings and the burning in my heart start a gentle flame. It kindles more love, more joy, more awe.

It is never too late to awaken further, to start anew, to learn and move forward.

Some emotions stay dormant until we are ready for them to emerge. We wouldn't be open to them otherwise.

I was a shy child, but I was not quiet all the time. I made noise to get attention in my large family. Something went dormant then, but something else also awakened. It helped me survive my active drinking years and the intense self-hatred I turned inward.

I am an introvert, but in my middle age, amid some of the greatest happiness and deepest sorrows I have known, I have awakened to a new freedom. There is a new level of comfort and peace. It's not all that noticeable to the rest of you probably, but it is to me.

And sometimes I do make it noticeable. Like yesterday, for the "Twister Tuesday" theme for my school's Homecoming week.  Wacky. Mismatched. This picture is just a taste of my ensemble, which I must say nailed the theme pretty well. I wore it all day at school, out and about in the halls, working and meeting in my office.


It's a simple, yet significant, example of vulnerability and awakening. There is liberation in pushing yourself to heal and grow, to grieve and to feel fully.

Today, I bring my vulnerability with me. What will awaken? What burning in my heart will take to that gentle flame?

Comments