Noticing Nature

Today I am deeply grateful for the unconditional love and support I get from recovery friends, and the privilege I have to give it back to them. I am also grateful for the support Darcy gives me in my daily recovery work.

Yesterday I wrote about noticing nature, so I have been intentionally doing that since I wrote about it. I appreciated the little squirrel who climbed up to take a quick drink from our fountain as I sat a few feet away and the quick flit of a hummingbird at close range.

I noticed:
-the rain-swollen river I ran along and the sounds it created
-the constantly evolving play of clouds, blue sky, daylight, sunlight
-that the warmer humid air, warmer than I prefer, would in a few months be welcomed back
     (Okay, let's be honest. I can live without humidity, but the warmth will be welcome.)
-the expansive morning sky and the stars and moon
-that I sometimes had two shadows of myself, because of street lights and moonlight
      (How often do I miss even seeing my shadow?)
-plenty about human nature--a smile across the miles from one grandson and a hug in person from the other, tears welling up from genuine emotion in my own eyes and the eyes of others, and much more...

It is that simple. Brief pauses, kind attention, brought me little joys and moments of wonder throughout the hours of the day. It brought faith and connection.

Comments