Light or Curse?

Today I am grateful for the peace in a simple pause and for my friends in recovery.

This quote from Eleanor Roosevelt is one many of us have heard or read before. I have always liked it. But I haven't always listened and internalized it.

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."  

I have done my fair share of cursing--of the verbal and nonverbal variety. I used to curse myself in the darkness of my own mind. Thankfully, there are a lot more candles in there now and when a cursed breeze blows a couple out, I know how to light them again.

A spark can come in a pause, a laugh, a friendly hello, a heartfelt thank you, a task completed, a walk taken. Light can be ignited from many sources.  

Helping others. Reaching out to someone in need. Being the one to listen instead of vent. Sparks, all of them. 

All I really need is some willingness. Mindful gratitude helps make me more willing. More aware. It even cleans the dark corners of my negative thinking when it flares up.  

How do you light candles for yourself and others? 

Comments