A Penny Reminder

Today I am grateful for my sense of touch and the pleasant feel of cool air on my skin. I am also grateful for the years I have been at my current job.

Many of you are probably familiar with the "pennies from heaven" story. It has many variations, but comes down to a simple reminder that we are not alone. Some find a penny on the ground and think of a loved one who has passed away. Others consider the "In God we trust" inscription.

One way or another, the message that gets through is that we are not alone, that there is a power greater than us at work in the universe. That is comforting.

Last week I heard one of these "pennies from heaven" stories and appreciated how little reminders can reap big benefits. A couple of days later, I came across a penny right outside our front door, after having gone in and out of that door a couple times previously that morning.

That higher force at work in the universe has good timing. I needed to step back and remind myself that I am not running the show, that I am only responsible for my part.

I picked up the penny and added it to the collection of items I often carry in my pocket. A penny reminder is a good reminder. 

Comments