August 30, 1950

Today I am grateful for a good 18-mile training run yesterday. I am also grateful for the 48 years of marriage my parents shared.

My parents were married on August 30, 1950. My dad passed away in October of 1998. Today would have been their 65th wedding anniversary.

I often think of my parents on their anniversary and wonder what kind of marriage they shared. We had a glimpse into it, but really only the two people in it know their marriage. I recall playful teasing between the two of them. Strong support of one another, a solid work ethic, a lasting faith. They weren't overly affectionate around us, but I had the sense that there was genuine love and caring between them.

They went through many challenges and many joys side by side. They raised thirteen children together and kept a farm going to help support us all.

Today, what they started on August 30, 1950 is now an extended family numbering over 100 and still growing.  I appreciate my family today and the values that still get passed on from generation to generation.

Thanks Mom and Dad!


Comments