What Keeps the Fire Lit?

Today I am grateful for time to enjoy the wonderful weather yesterday on both our front and back patios. I am also grateful for what I continue to learn about the disease of breast cancer. I feel more empowered with more information.

The other day I wrote about what lit my fire for breast cancer advocacy. What keeps that fire lit? Several things, not the least of which are the two scars where my own breasts used to be. At times, I feel judged for choosing not to have reconstruction, for choosing less surgery, less invasion of my body, less chances for chronic pain, more chances to keep running marathons and to do so comfortably. I have my own story and my own reasons for making the choices I did. Every woman and every man diagnosed with breast cancer has their unique story and their deeply personal reasons for the choices they make. One reason I remain an advocate is my hope that all BC patients feel empowered to make their own decisions and have the right kind of information and knowledge available to them.

I was also proud to be part of the second "Voices of Hope" DVD, titled "Family and Friends." My husband and son were also part of the DVD and now the two DVDs are available as a set to newly diagnosed patients and their families/friends. Read more about that here on this blog or at https://www.voicesofhopebc.com/.

Because of my sisters, my 14 nieces, friends like Jenny and Sheila, and the friends I have made at our local breast cancer support group, I know many women at high-risk for getting BC and many more who have had breast cancer. That scares me. Who will get it next? Who will it come back in? Statistical odds say it will happen to someone I care about sooner or later. That keeps me motivated to take the actions I can to help. We need more research dollars and subjects.

Fellow bloggers mentioned in recent posts--Nancy at Nancy's Point, AnneMarie Cicarrella at Chemobrain, Gayle Sulik at Pink Ribbon Blues, and Lisa Bonchek Adams among others--also keep me informed and inspired. Dr. Susan Love and her research foundation also deserve a mention.

I appreciate that there are so many people doing such good work to bring the right kind of awareness and to bring us closer to finding a cure. There's plenty of kindling to keep the fire lit.

Comments