Sacred Pain

Today I am grateful for people to reach out to in recovery. They help me start my day with the right focus. I am also grateful for the early morning quiet.

Here are some more words from Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton:

When her pain is fresh and new, let her have it. Don't try to take it away. Forgive yourself for not having that power. Grief and pain are like joy and peace; they are not things we should try to snatch from each other. They're sacred. They are part of each person's journey. All we can do is offer relief from this fear: "I am all alone." That's the one fear you can alleviate. (p. 49)

I agree. Pain and grief are as sacred as joy and peace. And I believe that without the pain and grief, we don't fully grasp or appreciate what makes joy and peace so wonderful. We can't feel anyone else's pain or grief for them, any more than we can or should try to take it away from them. But that part about not being alone? That we can do something about.

Sitting with someone in their lowest times often means pushing ourselves outside of our own comfort zone. Being with someone else at their most difficult times is a most difficult assignment. But we make it harder by trying too hard to make it easier for them. It isn't meant to be easy and the lessons aren't learned by skirting the real emotions. We simply need to be with the other person, let them know we care, and that we will stay with them and listen to them when needed, and we will take our leave when they need time to themselves to work through what has brought on the pain and grief.

I appreciate the painful life experiences that are part of my story. I appreciate the trust others have given me by sharing their pain and grief with me.

Comments