Under Our Feet and Over Our Heads

Today I am grateful for entertaining ball games to watch yesterday and for our grandson Leo's healthy growth and development as he reaches 3 months old today.

The "Word for the Day" at gratefulness.org today is from Henry David Thoreau:

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." 

Thoreau had much to say about our relationship with nature and our surroundings. It is at the root of paying attention and being mindful as well. We are surrounded by grace, beauty, wonder, amazingly intricate human and other life. Am I noticing any of it today or am I speeding by it in my race to do what I think must be done?

I am better at slowing down and noticing, only after years of practice and daily effort. But I don't want the word effort to make it sound like drudgery. It truly isn't. 

Yesterday Sam's team's first game was played in a steady, light rain. During their second game, the sun made some appearances. The rain was a hassle, but also brought some laughs and kept us cooler. Dry skies and some sun helped everyone dry out and warm up and made playing conditions safer and more ideal. Heaven over our heads kept it interesting.

Parking for these games was not in close proximity to the ball diamonds. I did much walking, including a short stretch of trail through a wooded area and partial laps on a dirt/cinder track in the athletic complex. I appreciated the walking and stretching after a 10-mile run earlier in the day. I appreciated the view through the trees. I was reminded of pleasant memories as I walked the track. My shoes got wet at times. My feet and the rest of me got tired at times, but there it was-heaven under my feet.

Comments