A Short Walk After A Long Career

Today I am grateful for nice evenings and breezes to keep bugs away. I am also grateful for the many positive working relationships I have had over the years.

One of those at the top of that list is my friend Julie. Yesterday, Julie ended her 28-year career at our school. For 12 of my 15 years there, Julie and I worked very closely together. She in the role of Middle School Coordinator, me in my role of Middle School Counselor. Julie's level of professionalism, attention to detail, and compassion for both the students and staff were outstanding. Julie and I also became good friends over the years, sharing our family news, weekend plans, triumphs and struggles and much more.

Her consistent leadership, willingness to try new things, and determination to go to bat more than once for what she thought was best for our school all helped create a cohesive and tight-knit middle school. Julie's position changed and I have had three years to miss her already and get used to the differences without her as a lead person in our middle school setting.

But she was still in the building each day, still a connection I could make to someone I trust and respect. She was still a sounding board when I needed. It's a comfort to have someone like that close by. You can cut to the chase, do some venting, usually end up laughing, then head back into the day at hand.

I will miss Julie's presence in our school in many ways. Yesterday her and I took a short walk out to her truck after she had done all the final little things someone retiring needs to do.

Julie is leaving for good. Her husband Brad retired last year. Together they leave a significant legacy on our school community, and they bring a warm smile to the faces of people like me who got to work with them.

A short walk after a long career. A final goodbye as colleagues. Julie, I wish you and Brad all the best in your retirement. And I know you will both continue to contribute to good in the world. It is what you do naturally and gracefully.

With deep gratitude I say thank you for the difference you have made to me both professionally and personally.

Comments