Getting Rest

Today I am grateful for time with Darcy's family and a chance to see our niece play softball. I am also grateful for the precious smiles our grandson Leo treats us to.

While I am at it, I am also grateful for rest. Rest to me doesn't just mean sleep, though enough of that is vitally important to overall health. Rest also means time to sit and do nothing, alone or in the company of others, nature, a good book.

The many months of this school year found me up early most mornings, and extremely early some mornings. Our family commitments and other commitments both Darcy and I have meant many busy evenings and weekends. Some days I was running on low, pretty much tapped out. On other days, I was energized and forward moving. Either way, I was usually pretty productive.

The last weeks in particular have been almost frenetically-paced and packed with too much to do, leaving little time for the kind of rest I would have liked. Travels. A sick spouse. School years ending. Baseball games. And that only starts the list.

Then I am reminded of the full life I have and the many reasons, even amidst exhausting times, that I can find to be grateful.

So the summer months will present more opportutnities for me to rest. I know I can't make up for sleep lost in recent months, and I continue striving to honor my body's need for sleep and other forms of rest. At least the weeks ahead may allow enough rest to bring rejuvenation and new energy.

I am also reminded that some rest is better than no rest, like some exercise is better than no exercise, and some mindful gratitude is better than no mindful gratitude. And I proceed into the next moments, encouraging you to do the same.

Comments