"0.0"

Today I am grateful for laughter among friends and for an open mind as my goal.

I saw a bumper sticker that read simply "0.0" as I was commuting to work recently. It made me chuckle and then it made me consider some of the meanings it could have. I didn't notice the gender of the driver or really anything else besides the bumper sticker.

My husband Darcy and I each have "26.2" bumper stickers on our vehicles, which we only put there after marathon #12.  We are modest folks and even more modest marathoners. But we are proud to be marathoners.

You might also see "13.1", "70.3" or 140.6" on bumpers or elsewhere. The first number refers to the half-marathon, the next two to total distances in triathlons. Such bumper stickers can also open up a debate about the size of the ego of the driver of vehicles bearing such stickers. Consider my husband and I though. We don't run fast. We have never had what would be considered runner's physiques. But we cover 26.2 miles a step at a time after months of training. It means a lot to us. I hope everyone has at least a few things in life that motivate them and mean a lot to them.

So back to the "0.0" sticker. Maybe that person doesn't like to run. Maybe they were poking fun at those of us who have such stickers on our cars. Maybe they put it there solely to get people like me thinking about why they put it there.

I enjoyed the little jaunt my mind took around the possibilities. I added a few more. Maybe they are a runner and the "0.0" reminds them to take a day off here and there. No miles today. Just rest. Every runner needs days off.

Maybe they were saying sometimes it is okay to just stand still and do nothing-"0.0". You and I both know people who look like it has been too long since they stood still and did nothing. They are frazzled and sometimes they are us.

Whatever you meant fellow commuter. I appreciated it all. Thanks!

Comments