Just Go For A Run

Today I am grateful for time to play some baseball with my son Sam and to take a walk with my husband Darcy and our dog Oliver.

I enjoyed a solitary run Saturday morning, while at the same time missing Darcy. We have spent many, many Saturday mornings over the last 11 years doing training runs in preparation for each of our 12 marathons. Darcy has been sick and though doing better is exercising caution before heading back to more exercise.It has been a tough stretch for him physically the last couple weeks and I am grateful he is improving.

It is at times like these, and in reflecting on my own cancer diagnosis, that I am reminded of health being one of our greatest treasures. I am also thinking of my sister Mary Jo, who this month reaches the milestone of being five years out from her lung cancer diagnosis. I am grateful for her health as a two-time cancer survivor.

Our health deserves our attention, our efforts, our care, our mindfulness.

I am able to just go for a run. There have been times I wasn't able to run, but mostly I am able. There are others who are unable to do what I do regularly. They may be injured. They may be too ill. They may lack proper running attire and a safe place to run.

Just going for a run helps me physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I am grateful for every run I get to take. I am grateul for each day's opportunities and will try to make the most of today, a moment at a time.

Comments