A Real Pain in the Neck

Today I am grateful for a sense of humor (my own and others') and for perspective gained from things beyond my control (which is the category everything besides my own attitude and actions fall into).

Those things beyond my control can be "a pain in the neck." I had a real pain in the neck the other day. I didn't wake up with it, but I sometimes do. This time it developed by late morning and remained with me throughout the rest of the day. It slowed me down and limited my range of motion. I am sometimes able to rub or massage the stiffness out myself, but usually it takes a good night of sleep, with my neck in the right position, to get some relief. I will also use a hot water bottle, or seek a head/neck rub from my dear husband.

This happens in the same spot in my neck from time to time, on the right side. It is where I carry my stress, my tension. It has become more susceptible to tensing up, and once that happens, it just gets tighter. It's a real pain in the neck caused by things that may be considered the proverbial "pains in the neck."  Or maybe I just slept on it wrong.

Annoyances. Nuisances. Difficulties. All are part of the deal when we live our lives. They can't be avoided entirely. But we can loosen up and lighten up. We can pray, pause, let go, laugh, vent. And today I can appreciate my Higher Power's sense of humor. Maybe the neck pain is on my right side because someone is trying to remind me that too often I try too hard to prove I am right, try too hard to make things happen a certain way.

Circumstances beyond my control led to a later posting time for today's blog entry. They led to frustration, but also gratitude in perspective. More on that tomorrow.

Comments