Just Out of Reach

Today I am grateful for the energy of students at the end of a school year. I am also grateful for time with family and a nice walk last evening.

Sometimes I feel like peace and calm are just out of reach. Like gratefulness is just around the corner, but I can't quite grab it. But most days I can find some reasons to smile. And that smile brings some peace and gratitude.

Yesterday when I was leaving work, not necessarily feeling very peaceful or all that full of gratitude, something happened that made me smile. As I opened my car door to get my purse and school bag put in, my water bottle dropped and rolled under the car next to me. My first thought was along the lines of "Are you kidding me? What next?" My next thought was "Thank you for that bit of humor Higher Power."

I didn't want to abandon my trusted water bottle. I have had it for years and it was a gift. I thought I knew whose car it was under, in case I needed to go back into school. I surveyed the situation and located the bottle near a tire. My first attempt to grab it failed. It was just out of reach.

Then, I changed my perspective and angle, gave it another try or two and was able to grab it and be on my way.

Sometimes that is all it takes. A smile. A different angle. A second or third try.

Comments