Things I Take For Granted: #5 Working Senses

Today I am grateful for safe travels over the weekend and time with family. I am grateful for my five working senses, all of which I appreciated over the weekend.

I love fall and I love to get back to our family farm this time of the year. The sights, sounds, and smells of fall included seeing the harvested fields and those still waiting their turn as well as the different views afforded us now that trees are bare. Smelling the fresh air, the corn in the grain bin, the feed for the sheep and cattle. Hearing the still-standing corn stalks rustling, tractors revving, and the grain dryer running. Hearing the evening quiet. I took advantage of the time to walk and run around our farm and a neighboring pond, enjoying some of that time with family members and some by myself.

I love the feeling of stepping out of a warm and full house into the night air to cool off and take in the stars and moon. And then being able to step back in and enjoy the family time. Feeling the hugs given and received. Touching the precious little feet of an infant. Tasting all of the food brought to share, much of it made with love.

I think of those who are without the ability to see, or hear, or smell, or touch, or taste. I think about what they miss when even one sense is not working. And I realize how deeply blessed I am, how important my senses are to each day's joy and understanding.

All five of my senses brought me gratitude and appreciation over the weekend. When I practice mindfulness, it is my senses that guide me, my senses that help keep me grounded and present. For each of them, I am truly grateful.

Comments