Honest Sharing

Today I am grateful for the creature comforts our home offers and for a weekend to regroup before starting another demanding week.

I am also grateful to have people I trust and with whom I can share honestly, even when the sharing includes my mistakes, my pitfalls, my frustrations. Especially when it includes these things. If I didn't have people to talk to about them, the negativity and energy zapping would continue to harm me.

I find some of the most honest sharing to be among recovering people, people trying to stay sober and live a productive and happy life. The disease of addiction tries to tell us we are different, that no one will understand, that we are damaged human beings unworthy of help and joy. But when we share honestly with one another, we realize we are not alone, that we have much in common, that we deserve kindness and compassion. We begin to move forward instead of staying stuck. We begin to heal.

I have also found common ground and honest sharing among other cancer patients, particularly those who have had breast cancer and gone through some similar trials and tribulations as I have. I have plenty of supportive people in my life, but there are some things that only those who have gone down a similar path can really grasp. It is good to have such people in my circle of support.

Honest sharing. Common ground. Circles of support. For each, I am deeply grateful today.

Comments