Speaking of Gratitude

Today I am grateful for a good cup of coffee and for help from my colleagues Paul, Stephanie, and Sarah.

I have been writing about gratitude for many years, and blogging about it for well over two years. I have been practicing it in my own life going on twenty years. But speaking about gratitude to others in a group setting has been a newer experience for me. I have appreciated each opportunity in this area.

Yesterday the opportunity included speaking to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders about things like positive psychology, resilience, "circles of support," and the proven overall health benefits of things like gratitude practice and meditation. I think it went well and I hope each student walked away with something to ponder or put into use.

It gave me the chance to hone my words and discussion to a different age level than I had previously spoken to. I appreciated that. Every effort to prepare such presentations teaches me more and further affirms the value of gratitude practice and the growing science behind it.

My colleague Paul helped by leading guided meditation with three different groups. His presence and experience in this area helped make it a worthwhile experience for all the students. Stephanie and Sarah helped by facilitating a session where students put gratitude practice into action by writing thank yous and choosing some other options. None of us were sure how this time would go, but their willingness to embrace this activity with the students helped make it a success as well. A big thanks to all three of you!

And the students came through with their cooperation and their genuine efforts to do what we asked them to do.

Speaking of gratitude...it has made all the difference in my life.


Comments