Late Bloomer

Today I am grateful for time off from work and for the little joys of my favorite holiday of Thanksgiving.

I mentioned yesterday that I am a late bloomer in many respects. I got married at 33, had my son at 36. But I am also a late bloomer in terms of growing into myself, being comfortable in my skin. It took time. Lots of time. Lots of work.

When one is a shy, introverted child lacking attention in a large family, and when one starts to drink alcohol at a young age, one tends to have a skewed perception of self and world. When I quit drinking at age 24, I was already years behind in terms of my emotional and spiritual development. I got a slow start in recovery too, but today I know the importance of daily work for a daily disease.

I am also something of a late bloomer as a writer. Although I have been a writer all my life, it hasn't been until the last few years that I have really blossomed into a blogging, column-writing essayist who shares in the public realm.

The same is true of my running. I have been a runner all my life, but ran my first marathon at age 39. Now I have run 12. Better late than never.

In my professional career, it took me time to find my niche too. I think I did good work as a classroom teacher, but I think being a school counselor is a better fit for me and allows me to best use the tools and talents I have.

A late bloomer. In recovery from alcoholism. In my journey of self-acceptance. In my writing. In my profession. At times I ponder what my life may have been like if I would have gotten on track sooner, if I hadn't been mired in the muck well into my twenties and thirties. But my story is my story. It is the only way I could have gotten to the here and now that I love and appreciate.

Comments

  1. I love this blog, love the optimism and appreciation of things in life. I am 47 and currently pondering making some changes to my life post-cancer treatment, it's never too late to start a new career chapter, or a new hobby, or find something else new and rewarding that makes us happy. Well done you for overcoming such adversity in your earlier life ... I guess those challenges were valuable solid stepping stones that got you to your 'here and now'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and nice to hear from you Rethink Street. I hope this recent round of chemo is manageable. The worst post-chemo days for me were usually days 3-5. Hang in there! As long as we have life, we can have hope and options. Gratitude practice helps me see that. Valuable stepping stones indeed! Onward!

      Delete

Post a Comment