Taking Peace for Granted

Today I am grateful for the birds singing and the way our dog Oliver splays out on his back at times. It always brings a smile to my face when I see that.

I was out running yesterday and caught a news update on NPR. From a deadly suicide bombing in Yemen to demonstrations at the NATO talks in Chicago, I was vivdly reminded of something I, and many of us in this country, take for granted: peace and security.

I don't worry about where it is safe for me to run or not run. I choose my route on how I am feeling and what I want to see. I don't lay awake at night wondering if I'll need to evacuate my family because of bomb scares. I feel safe driving, walking, biking in my community and surrounding area. That is freedom. That is peace. And I am quite guilty of taking it for granted. 

I live in a free and democratic nation. That doesn't just happen. People fought and worked hard to make that possible over 200 years ago, and people are still working hard to maintain it. I need to do my part as well. I can start by recognizing what peace and security mean to my family and I and how fortunate we are.

I can also take a moment to thank the men and women in our armed forces who keep us protected. Thank our lawmakers who support such protection here and abroad. We may disagree on the details, but I bet we can all agree that as American citizens we are protected in many ways citizens of some other countries aren't able to be.

Today I will appreciate the peace and security around me.

Comments