Praying for Others

Today I am grateful for the relationships I have with both my stepchildren.  My stepson's birthday is today, as is our dog Oliver's.  I am also grateful for the smell of spring and the arrival of the promise of a new day.

For me, prayer and gratitude go hand in hand. Besides gratitude, another one of my daily practices is to pray for others. I have a mental list of fellow alcoholics/addicts and cancer patients that I pray for. I say a special prayer for friends and family who may be facing a particularly difficult time, approaching a milestone (like high school graduation this time of the year), or who have a doctor appointment or test/scan coming up. 

Praying for others gets me out of myself, and that's a good thing. It also gets the gratitude flowing. Having others to pray for means I have people in my life. And those who are facing difficult challenges serve to remind me how my problems are usually small potatoes compared to what some people are up against.

I pray for people I don't know, particularly after news of tragedies like tornadoes or fires. I even pray for people who make me uncomfortable or who have upset me. It is a better use of my energy to pray for someone's well-being than to carry resentments and anger.

It all helps me keep a good perspective on my life and on the day ahead. Have a good day!

Comments