Remembering Dad

Today I am grateful to those who have given their lives to bring freedom to America and to defend that freedom here and abroad for over two centuries. I am also grateful that I was able to visit my father's grave this weekend.

I am remembering my dad today on Memorial Day. He passed away suddenly on October 23, 1998. It was a shock to our family, but I am grateful he died the way he did. He was a semi-retired 74-year-old farmer out unloading some corn from the fall harvest. He had a heart attack doing what he loved. I am grateful he didn't have a slow decline and the emotional toll of losing his mobility and other abilities. The shock of his sudden death was soothed a little for me because I know it was better for him and the way he had lived. I couldn't see dad fully retired.

My dad had a dry sense of humor and a quick wit that you would miss if you weren't listening. He liked to read the paper, listen to the news, and talk to anyone about anything that happened to come up in conversation. It strikes me that my dad never seemed bored. He was busy doing something or learning from others via listening, reading, or conversing. And then he would nap in the recliner. He liked to play cards and Yahtzee. He worked hard his whole life, but he also enjoyed visiting with others and the many family events that come with a large family like ours.

My father never got to meet my step-children and my son was born in 2002. It makes me sad that they never knew him, but they know of him. My son would have really enjoyed talking about farm stuff with his grandpa. The kids have had the chance to know my mom and spend time with her. I am so appreciative of that.

Before his casket was closed at his funeral, some family members put in tokens or notes. I put in a Yahtzee score card that we had both happened to use, with a note written on the back. Those were pleasant memories the last years of his life . . . just playing a game at the kitchen table.

Who are you remembering today? How does that bring gratitude?

Comments