Quiet Time

Today I am grateful for good books and an afternoon nap. I'm also grateful for my job.

Practicing gratitude requires that I slow down long enough to write in my gratitude journal, and to pause long enough to reflect on what I appreciate on this day at this time.

That simple and brief pause is a good start, but I need more quiet time too. I try to give myself some of it each day--early morning prayer, walking the dog, no radio on part of my commute, running, sitting on the patio appreciating nature. The possibilities are numerous.

When I slow down I begin to see more of what I have to be grateful for. When I slow down I remember that today isn't just all about my to-do list, it's also about being present in the moment.

I'm busy, productive, a bit of an overachiever. Daily quiet time is a necessity, otherwise I reach a point I jokingly call "spinning off the face of the earth."  If I get to that point, you can bet I'm not very appreciative anymore.

Here's a simple prayer I often use when I feel the pace building too fast:  "Slow me down Lord."
Have a good day! 

Comments