"Grabitude" Revisited

Today I am grateful for bananas, my favorite and most convenient fruit. I am also grateful for the unconditional love of our dog Oliver. He truly is always happy to see us.

In one of my first posts, my sister Aileen commented and used the term "grabitude."  It refers to the materialism and greed that seem to be consuming too many people in too many ways these days. We want bigger, better, faster, and more "stuff." But does that make us happy? I don't think so. I think it just leads to pursuit of more stuff and takes us away from what really matters. Does it make us grateful? I don't think so. I think it leads to taking more of what we have for granted, or seeing it as not good enough.

Sure, I like to have nice stuff, but I try to keep it in perspective. I grew up with simplicity and I appreciate that today. Grabitude puts the focus on stuff and takes it off of the best gifts in our lives: people and experiences, love and growth.  We often hear the terms "haves" and "have nots" in terms of material things. How about reframing that in a culture of gratitude?  In such a culture, the "haves" are those who appreciate what is already present in their lives. The "have-nots" are those who take for granted their many gifts while in pursuit of more, bigger, better.

Today I will focus on what I already have. I am deeply blessed.

Comments