Season Over

Living gratefully today, I appreciate family and friends in a multitude of ways. In my heart, and in my day-to-day life.

My heart is aching this morning for my son Sam. His senior football season ended with a loss last evening. His high school playing career is over. I just soaked and scrubbed his uniform for the last time. Tears were shed last night by young men and their parents.

Tears that show it all matters. Playing the game, yes. But being part of a team, the friendships, the traditions; that all mattered far more.

I am very thankful for this experience for him and for the fine young men and coaches he has played football with, and for, over the last ten years. The future plans include more football, but this era is over.

He and his buddies made new memories last night, even while their days as football teammates came to a close.

Earlier last week, Sam's team won their first playoff game in impressive fashion and closed out their playing days on their home field with pride. Sam was one of the players interviewed after the game by the local newspaper sports reporter.

Here is one of his quotes. It sums it all up:

"We always stay positive, we're never negative to each other, to the refs, to the coaches, other people. 
I think we are always positive and we always play with each other and we play for each other."
(Sam Valentine #53) 

So proud of you Sam. So thankful for your high school experience and the many people who enriched it for you. 

Comments