Every Now and Then

Living gratefully today, I give thanks for the food I had for breakfast and for the stars in the early morning sky.

Consider these words from Shakti Gawain:

"Whatever our individual troubles and challenges may be, it's 
important to pause every now and then to appreciate all 
that we have, on every level." 

Gawain, an author and pioneer in the self-help movement, died last November after surgery complications. She had been suffering from Parkinson's disease and Lewy body dementia for years. She definitely had her troubles and challenges. We all do. What are yours today? Naming them allows us to move forward and keep living. Unnamed, we tend to flounder in our trials and tribulations. 

Some of mine have been self-imposed, others circumstantial, still others having to do with overall health. It's not a contest and I am not a victim.

I did make an effort yesterday and this morning to pause and appreciate a few things, including:

-an eagle soaring gracefully in the sky
-the sun shining brightly after several gloomy days
-connecting with both of our grandsons
-a luscious afternoon nap
-an evening bike ride with my husband Darcy
-stopping on my run to greet a deer in the path ahead
-gazing at the stars in the morning sky
-giving thanks for my simple but satisfying breakfast

I strive to pause and appreciate each day. Some are better than others. Some days I get caught up in the rushing and forget to pause. I need to be intentional about it. Darcy and I intentionally stopped and sat on a bench along the trail to take a break during our bike ride. We had never stopped at this bench before, to just enjoy the river flow in front of us and each other's company for a few moments.

It was nice. In that moment, I appreciated all I had, on every level. 

Comments