Closing the Gap

Today I am grateful for my siblings and my extended family. I am also grateful for the way grace shows itself in the world.

The idea of "closing the gap" first came to me as I thought about my sister Danita. It is her birthday today. She is the oldest of the eight sisters, and the second oldest of thirteen siblings in our family. I am the baby sister and #11.

We have dubbed ourselves the "bookend sisters" and tasked ourselves with upholding our sisterhood. Danita has me by over ten years. Growing up, that age gap was significant. In ways, we really didn't grow up together. But that gap of years has closed as we have gotten older. I have more of a connection with Danita than I ever have. Happy Birthday to you!

With "closing the gap" on my mind, I headed out for a bike ride as dusk neared last evening.
These other gaps occurred to me:

-The gap between Darcy's bike and mine. He upgraded this year and it's my turn next. My bike is sufficient, but his is nicer. I took it out last night and fully appreciated the wide and comfortable seat and smoother ride. I look forward to closing the gap between our bikes and their quality.

-I made a stop at the high bridge that is one of my favorite places in town. It spans the Vermillion River, which has a falls a short distance upstream from this spot, and has some areas of minor rapids that kayakers like. On one side of the bridge is a calm stretch of the river. On the other side, literally less than 50 yards away, is some minor river rage. From calm to turmoil, or turmoil to calm, in a matter of yards. Like human emotions. This human at least. The gap between our emotions is often small, but I fare better if the gap between my emotions, thoughts, and actions is at least enough to make good choices.

-As I made my way back home, I rode with a nice view of the sunset. It struck me that the gap between sunrise and sunset is getting shorter and shorter as daylight does the same this time of the year.

Closing the gap. Do I have a gratitude gap?  Not now. I will strive to stay present in my day and keep that sort of gap away.


Comments