Have a Seat Right Here

Today I am grateful for family visitors, the opportunity to sleep in, and a glorious fall day to take at my own pace.

Lately, I am trying to break up my routine in little ways, jarring the complacency and dislodging the stuck.  I find myself appreciating the refreshing surge in seeing things differently, in taking a moment to just take a moment.

The other day I wrote about taking a seat elsewhere. Today, I am just focusing on having a seat more often. On many days, I try to see how many steps I can rack up on my little pocket pedometer. In itself, that is not a harmful thing, but for an overdoer and overthinker like me, it can get to be too much.

Exhaustion, physical and mental, can set in. I push myself, and my aging body, too much at times. (It is progress for me to even put that in writing.) My mind gets caught up in negative thought loops and next thing I know I am on the wrong end of the continuum between reasonable and unreasonable, sane and not so sane.

Here are some insights I gained by taking a seat more often today:

-greeting the sunrise and fall color as I sat on our porch finishing phone call with my friend Sheila
-the wisdom of others in recovery as we shared coffee and hope together
-some breaks in my run as I sat at benches along the trail I frequently run on but very infrequently pause and sit along
-a visit, just a couple feet away, from an audacious backyard squirrel as I sat down outside to write this
-the freshness of an afternoon blog post (No one ever suggested I always post early in the morning, it is just when I typically do, so I took an atypical approach today and feel good about it.)

Take a seat. Have a seat. Take a break. Have some perspective and calm. It's all good from where I am sitting right now.

Blog break ahead . . . see you next week!

Comments