A Chance Conversation

Today I am grateful for safe travels over the weekend, cold weather attire, and the opportunities my husband Darcy and I have to support our son Sam in his college decision-making process.

In our travels this weekend, my early Sunday morning provided a chance conversation with a woman. She said good morning and I returned the greeting. She was wearing a chemo cap. I don’t always strike up conversations with people in chemo caps, but her warm greeting was an invitation and I took it.

I took it for Mary Jo, for Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day, for the memory on my mind as I got up. The last Sunday I woke up at this same hotel in this same Iowa college town was June 16 of this year, the morning Mary Jo died. By the time the call came in, we were on the road. But when she drew her last breath, I was at this same hotel.

The woman with the chemo cap, Linda, and I spoke for a few minutes; about cancer treatment, about what brought us here to this town from other states. She has Stage IV lung cancer. She clearly also has faith, strength, and realism.

We talked about our cancer experiences as a journey, versus a battle, which is so often how it is stated in obituaries. Lost a long battle. Linda struck me as someone who is trying to live each day and be grateful for what is good in it.

Thank you for the conversation Linda. My prayers to you. I appreciate the reminder that I can live life fully today, just for today, or I can futilely fight the factors beyond my control.

I would rather live a full life than lose a long battle. How about you?

Comments