Sounds and Silence

Living gratefully today, I appreciate my five senses, and especially my sense of taste as I enjoy some nourishment this morning.

The sounds and silence of snow is what I am pondering this morning. We continue with an active weather pattern, so this morning it was a coating of snow with some light freezing drizzle on top that greeted Oliver and I on our walk. There was a louder crunching sound as we walked. If it is just snow, the sound is more soft and muted. The nuances of snow and sound.

There have been plenty of rounds of the sounds of snowplows, snowblowers, and shovels in the recent weeks and days as well. The sounds of winter and snow.

One of my favorite sounds of snow is the sound of silence. The lack of sound when snow is falling gently to the ground. I love walking out in it, pausing to enjoy the calm awe of being surrounded by snowflakes and stillness. It is one of the times I feel a deep connection to the natural world.

Silence in the snow. Silence in some meditation or a simple pause. Silence. Hear it. Feel it.

Life demands that the sounds return. I have to get ready for the day, drive to work, proceed in the wider community on the streets and roads, up and down the halls. The quiet is harder to come by then. Maybe my day goes a little better though, better because I sought some silence.

Comments