Capacity to be Present

Today I am grateful for the sturdy steps between the levels of our home, and for my current gratitude journal, a gift from my friend Dorothy.

The "Daily Question" at gratefulness.org yesterday was "How can I improve my capacity to be present?"  That was a fitting question for me to carry with me into my day.  The days and my schedule have been full. The weather has thrown a wrench in at times. My personal and professional pursuits keep me hopping, and in many good ways.

But I can spin. I can get overly busy, overly exhausted, and I can lose sight of the simplicity and peace available in the present moment. I get caught up, and then I lose out.

As my sister Aileen says, she tries to "be where my hands are." Sometimes I pause, put my arms at my sides and, with hands palm down, say "right here, right now." It also tells me to focus on what my hands may be doing. Typing. Preparing food. Driving. Shoveling. Feeding our dog.

Presence brings a sense of reverence to the mundane.

A pause and paying attention increase my capacity to be present.

Giving focus to breathing is vital, just like the air I breathe.  Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat. Breathe in the difference between fresh, cold outdoor air and warm, comforting indoor air. Breathe in and feel it in my diaphragm. Breathe out and feel it in my nose.

Like lung capacity helps my running, presence capacity helps my mindset.

As I exercise, realizing the connection between my brain and my body, I am awestruck by how they work in conjunction with one another. Usually this happens below my level of consciousness, and without my acknowledgment. To acknowledge, to honor. to simply experience. That is being present.

When I am mindfully present on a personal plane, I notice you and the world around me with a more caring and open heart, and a better capacity to love, tolerate, serve. The capacity for collective good in a complex world is increased.

It starts with you and I just taking a moment to take in a moment.


Comments

  1. Presence capacity - - I can practice and increase my presence - thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment