Humor, Grace, and Awe

Today I am grateful for my physical body and the resilience it has. I am also grateful for snow shovels and some evening shoveling alongside my husband Darcy.

“God’s sense of humor.” Call it what you will, but cosmic comedy plays out in our lives regularly.  Usually when it comes around is when I am not particularly in the mood for it. Which is to say that it comes along just when I most need it.

There have been a couple of instances early in this week that have had me saying "Yeah, I get it. You're right. I can do this. Thanks for the reminders!" One was my fall yesterday morning and the ironic timing of it. The others were two different times I was surrounded by sweet treats, which I love, but chose to decline because of efforts to eat better and cleanse my system.

Where there is humor, it seems there is often grace as well. Grace abounds. I just don't always notice it or call it that. I was feeling the grace yesterday after I slipped on the ice. Right away, I was very grateful to be okay and be able to get up and keep moving. As the day wore on, I went back time and time again to how very fortunate I was to not have been injured. I am stiff and sore today, but I appreciate that is all.

The humor and the grace also lead us to awe. Awe at the interconnectedness among people, and with our surroundings. Awe at the genuine sharing in conversations that happen throughout a day. Awe at the beauty of the fresh snow on the trees. Awe at the opportunities to tap into more humor and grace each day when I start with a full and thankful heart.

Comments