Release Expectation

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the rest I got last night and the different pace my work day will hold today.

Expectations can be problematic for me. They have been called premeditated resentments, not to mention a waste of good energy. I am not talking about reasonable expectations, like my car starting and the electricity in our house working.

I am speaking of the more dangerous, unreasonable variety of expectations. The kind fed by ego, impatience, fear. Things like expecting to get a certain amount of things done in a day. Or the kind that involve other people, places, and things which I have no control over. Add my swirling mind and sensitive emotions and trouble brews. Peace is lost. Serenity goes out the window.

So I really appreciate this quote:

"When we release expectation and experience appreciation, all the moments 
of our lives become openings and opportunities." 
Kristi Nelson

Kristi Nelson is the Executive Director of A Network for Grateful Living at gratefulness.org.

This week was not what I expected in ways. Some of that had to do with things like the weather and new experiences. But some of it had to do with setting myself up with expectations.

Expect less and accept more Lisa. I remind myself of that, but also then move forward living it. Just do the next right thing and avoid the trap of overthinking. Simple, but not easy. 

I will be taking a blog break over the weekend. Experience appreciation. Openings and opportunities will come. Have a good weekend and see you here next week! 


Comments