Happy 88th Birthday Mom!

Today I am grateful for my mom Gertrude, her life and legacy. She has been part of creating many living things over the years, from her children to her gardens, and much more.

Mom's memory continues to fade, and I have such sadness and mixed emotions about that. It is hard to put into words, but wistful and loss come to mind. I wonder what it is like for her. There are lucid times and memories, and there are days when she asks several times what day of the week it is. The truth of the matter for her is that on most days it doesn't much matter what day of the week it is. There is a sort of freedom in that, but I don't know if it feels that way to her and other elderly people.

It was nice to gather this weekend and gather around Mom at the nursing home, share some time together, and then share some cake. The weather kept our family representation smaller than it would have been, but we still filled several tables and sang birthday wishes to Mom. See what you and Dad started Mom? We are here and we honor all that you have done, for us, for those around you.

Here is a picture of Mom that goes back about 72 years. A few years ago, when I got a print of this picture, I also wrote a few notes on the back. Mom told us this is a dress that her parents gave her for her 16th birthday, and this was probably taken a few months later. The ducks in the background are ones she raised to sell.  She also told us that she raised ducks for her and Dad's wedding and that it is terrible trying to pick duck feathers in the off season. (They got married in August.)

I so appreciate putting these and many other memories down in writing, because I know I would not have remembered some of the details of this picture either if I hadn't.


Writing. Chronicling the days and years. It is one of the ways my mom and I are alike. We both have many journals full of memories and love. Mom doesn't write much anymore. I will write for both of us.

Happy 88th Birthday Mom! I love you. Celebrate this day with a nice walk or two around the nursing home. 


Comments