Dancing the Years Away, in Memory of Dad

Today I am grateful for the convenience of paper products like paper towels, napkins, toilet paper, and Kleenex. I am also grateful for trees and other resources, the people who make these products, and those who help make them available to me.

Today was my dad's birthday. He was born on February 28, 1924. He died on October 23, 1998. The years since his death have passed quickly. Life has gone on and the family he helped start continues to grow. We still miss you Dad.

I talked about rushing and slouching yesterday. Dad worked very hard his whole life, but he also was better at slowing down than I tend to be. My memory recollects that he knew when the work needed to be done, but he also knew when it was time to sit down to read the newspaper and doze off in the chair, or play some cards, or watch a ball game.

I have the work ethic too, but the slowing down is a continued work in progress. Slouching?  Dad didn't do that intentionally, but his body started making it harder for him not to as he aged.

The dancing?  He and Mom did plenty of that. I remember them dancing at many wedding dances of my youth, and I was touched by their smooth flow together. For a number of years, in the late 1970's and early 1980's, my parents also did quite a bit of square dancing. It was popular in that area at the time and they would join other couples and travel to other communities to have a night out.

I was thwarted in my attempt to find a picture of my parents in their square dance attire, but I did come across this picture of them dancing to the "Anniversary Waltz" on their 40th wedding anniversary in1990. (I recognize my nephew in the corner of the picture, but I will let him remain anonymous in this story.)



I appreciate that my parents took time to dance, that they clearly were comfortable with both a waltz and a do-si-do. I believe when they are reunited on some level of existence when Mom passes away, that they will dance together again.

Happy Birthday Dad! 

Comments

Post a Comment