Forgiveness: A Fresh Start

Today I am grateful for forgiveness. It helps lighten the load and brings renewal. I am also grateful for the wisdom shared with me by others. I have many teachers.

On Wednesday, I was able to attend the third of the Lenten series "word of the week" that I referred to in my post on February 22. You can read that post here.

Forgiveness comes in many shapes and sizes and can be directed at self, others, institutions, God, and on and on. I appreciate that my husband Darcy is quick to forgive and forget when we have an argument. He has helped me get better at that myself. I appreciate that recovery from alcoholism offers me many opportunities to forgive myself. Forgiveness and acceptance go hand in hand.

We had a nice conversation about forgiveness on Wednesday. I was intrigued by it all, but especially by our discussion of being mad at God and how forgiveness can play into our relationship with God.All I know is that God can handle my anger better than I can.

This quote by Martin Luther King, Jr. is thought-provoking:

"Forgiveness does not mean ignoring what has been done or putting a false label on it. It means rather, that the act will no longer remain as a barrier to this relationship. Forgiveness is a catalyst creating the atmosphere necessary for a fresh start."

Forgiveness, giving it and receiving it, truly does create a fresh start. So does the practice of gratitude. Where can I apply each today?

Comments