Suggested Reading: "Tell My Sons"

Today I am grateful for warm sunshine and spring cleaning, and for opportunities to be of service, like helping out at an Easter Bunny breakfast this morning.

I am also grateful that I had the opportunity to go to a book signing at our local library earlier this year. The author is Lt. Col. Mark Weber and his book is Tell My Sons.  He has terminal gastrointestinal cancer and wrote the book to his three young sons. He drew on twenty years of journaling to create a series of letters to his boys. The letters tell stories and impart the wisdom and lessons a father hopes to pass along to his children. He wants his sons to have access to those lessons long after he is gone. Lt. Col. Weber succeeded in his goal, but in the process has reached far more people than his own children.

People react to life-threatening illness in many different ways and with a range of emotions. That is to be expected. The courage and frankness that Weber exemplifies makes this a book that will have you both laughing and crying. The best kind of book, in my humble opinion.

You can read much more about Lt. Col. Weber on his Caring Bridge site here
or on the book's website here.

It can be tough to look at our own mortality. And I don't pretend to think I know anything about how Stage IV cancer patients like Mark Weber and Lisa Bonchek Adams http://lisabadams.com
feel, but I do know that my early stage cancer diagnosis nearly five years ago gave me a glimpse at mortality that I hadn't gotten before. I have had two diseases that kill people every single day. You bet I am grateful to be here.You bet I try to see the gifts in each day.

Mark Weber talks about "What do you do when life doesn't go the way you want it to?"  He clearly is moving forward with faith and courage to make the most of the time he has left. After being misdiagnosed several times, he is now 2 1/2 years out from a diagnosis that they told him only gave him months to live.

Here's another one of his lines, heard in an interview he had, when asked "What's your prognosis?" His response was "Live every day."

Already plenty to chew on, but I will continue to blog about Tell My Sons for a couple more days.


Comments