The Stuff of Life

Today I am grateful for a run in the sunshine with Darcy and Oliver. I'm also grateful for my job, even when the day in-day out "stuff" wears me out.

Below is a picture of a couple of souvenirs I brought back from our weekend in Madison. I am a memento-keeper and have boxes and totes full of "stuff."  But it is more than stuff, it is the stuff of life. This stuff tells stories, preserves memories, makes connections, brings gratitude.


"The Fireside" was the name of the dinner theater where we were treated to a wonderful meal and a great production of "Footloose."  I enjoy eating, and especially so when someone else does all the work and I get to be in the company of old friends. I have never gone hungry, truly hungry, in my whole life. I am deeply blessed.

The colorful fan came with my non-alcoholic version of the show's signature drink. I can't remember what they called it and I don't know what was all in it besides ice, strawberry flavoring, cream, and chocolate. But I do know that it was quite delicious. And I know I appreciated the consideration my non-alcoholic friends showed to this alcoholic while they partook of alcohol. I am deeply blessed to have recovery and support in that recovery.

The program for "Footloose" allowed me to read about the talented cast and crew of this production. The movie "Footloose" was released in February of 1984, our freshmen year of college. I didn't watch the big screen version of this movie with any of the friends I saw the live version with last weekend. I watched it with my Waldorf College softball teammates on our spring break that year. It evokes memories of "hunk" Kevin Bacon as Ren McCormack and Chris Penn as the ever-entertaining Willard Hewitt who is fond of quoting his mother's words of wisdom. It brings to mind a great soundtrack with songs like "Holding Out for a Hero," "Somebody's Eyes," "Let's Hear it for the Boy," "I'm Free," and the title track.

But it also evokes memories of that softball season. The friends I made. The fun we had. The traveling we did. The culmination of the season was making it to the NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association) national tournament and finishing 4th in the nation. Cherished memories sparked by some of this "stuff" of life.

The "stuff" of my life hasn't cluttered things up, it has offered continuing inspiration. For that, I am truly grateful.

Comments