Squeeze Some Joy Out

Today I am grateful for my sister Ruth (Happy Birthday!) and all seven of my sisters. I am also grateful for the thriving community I live in.

Back to Tell My Sons. When I went to Mark Weber's book signing, I had to wait in line for about 30 minutes before it was my turn to greet him and get my copy signed. In that time, I started reading his book and was pulled in by these words to his sons in the final paragraph of the preface to the book:

"I hate writing this letter, but I would hate not writing it even more. Nothing can replace the long talks I hoped to have while fishing or driving to some far-off adventure with you, just as I got to do with my dad. But thankfully, I've been blessed with enough time to pass along the most compelling experiences of my life. As sad as the reasons are for writing any of this, let's see if we can squeeze some joy out of it before I have to leave.  Love, Dad"

It is a small dose of what you will find throughout the book-real human emotions shared through stories and life experience. Real human emotions unmasked and unashamed. Real human emotions that are both scary as hell and joyful as heaven.

Shouldn't we really all be approaching life hoping to "squeeze some joy out before we have to leave?" Aren't we really all dying? But aren't we all living TODAY? What are we waiting for? Today is a good day to go looking for some joy. I hope you find some.

Comments