Just Observing, All Shapes and Sizes

Today I am grateful for a slower-paced morning to begin this day, and for the passing clouds that are also moving slowly past as I observe them.

I like to think that my gratitude practice, my efforts to live gratefully, have made me a more keen observer of the world around me. And a more keen recipient of the gifts that come.

On our recent trip, I noted these and other tidbits as I observed and took in my surroundings:

-common courtesy is becoming more uncommon...no, I don’t really care to hear your loud
phone conversation
-we miss a lot when we aren’t looking...that video may pass the time, but people watching at an airport beats any video as far as I'm concerned
-seeing clouds from above instead of below is pretty amazing
-the uncertainty after a flight gets cancelled (it all worked out, but was a good reminder of what we do and do not control)
-regardless of political leanings, seeing our nation’s capitol is always riveting
-seeing the Pentagon and other sites on foot, even though we didn’t have time to pursue further
-lessons in patience are ample each day
-the resolution counter and baggage claims service at our airline and the various expressions on people's faces (even if we speak different languages, our expressions are similar in meaning)
-cicadas in the trees
-a nice poolside conversation with a friendly couple at our hotel
-Glam Nation, heavy on spandex and 80’s rock, a surprise as we strolled downtown Savannah
-fried green tomatoes, grits, lots of good food
-Leopold's ice cream (Savannah's best?  My vote is yes!)
-hungry and tired people at airports—been there, done that, not fun

And this lighting fixture in our D.C. hotel pulled my attention as I waited for Darcy. The fixtures were very light and swaying a little, reminding me to go with the flow. They were in various shapes and sizes, just like the human race. Finally, the light came through them each in unique ways. Just like the unique light each of us has inside. How will I let mine shine today? How will I notice the light of others shining through?




Comments