Hard Miles?

Today I am grateful for safe travels to and from Iowa and a nice visit with my mom and other family members. I especially appreciated the time with my Aunt Helen.

On Saturday, Darcy and I did our longest training run of the season, a 20-miler. It's likely the only 20-miler I will do before our marathon five weeks from now. In ways, it was "easier" than the half I did last weekend. My pace per mile was 11:37 instead of just over 9:00. That makes a significant difference. My hamstring felt better too. This run wasn't full of hard miles, and even the last few miles weren't as tough as they sometimes can be.

As a runner, regardless of the distance, I have found the toughest miles tend to be the third of four quarters. It applied in track races too. The third 200 in an 800. The third lap in a mile. Miles 14-20 in a marathon. I think because it's not close enough to be confident the finish is doable, but it's far enough in to be feeling the distance already covered. Feeling it in my lungs on a shorter, speedier race. Feeling it in my legs, on a longer, slower race.

At age 53, I could say I am in the third quarter of my life as well. There have been hard miles in this quarter, miles I have never covered before, but I keep plugging along and the view clears.

I was thinking about other hard miles. How about road trip hard miles when you have been drinking too much coffee and water and need a bathroom that is still miles away?  Or the hard miles of life? The challenging times when you don't know what's around the corner, when you don't know if you will make it through.

I visited my mom yesterday in the nursing home. You see lots of people who have covered and are covering hard miles. I noticed that the many steps Mom takes in a day, not miles anymore, seem easier for her with a walker versus the cane she was using. More stability and mobility.

Whether the easy miles of life or the hard miles, both are taken a step at a time. Slow and steady progress, or at least facing in the right direction, is good to maintain.

Whether in the car or on foot, whether the miles are hard or easy, I try to remember to look ahead, to look in front of me, but not too far ahead. Looking back throws you off track and stirs up regrets. Too far ahead stirs up fear and worry.

Right in front is right here, right now, living gratefully.

Comments